Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Self Entitlement

I believe the problem with our society is Self Entitlement. You have seen it and we all have thought it a time or two.

Believe me I will not say that such self absorbed thoughts have not crossed my mind.

"This person had better speed up, do they have any idea how late I am for my meeting?"

I have to remind myself, you are the one who did not prepare, who hit the snooze one too many times, who is currently breaking the law and trying to make the person in front of you do the same...

It goes with that saying,"Lack of planning on your behalf, in no way makes it an emergency on my part."

Why should one person have everything handed to them on a silver platter while the rest of us work our butts off?

What makes us so special that special exceptions and concessions should be made? If you ask me, such behavior will be the end of our society.

Often times I will hear people say that it is the problem with the "y" generation. Yes it is, but it is not the only generation that has been infected with this disease. Who taught this generation such theories on life?

What can we do to improve? Is there hope for the self centered, narcissists we have become?

I hope so!

My only suggestion is this, when you get that feeling that you are the only one who is not understood or getting what you need in life, ask yourself a few questions:

Why are you in this position?
Who put you in this situation?
Who allowed you to be in this situation?
Have you considered the other parties' point of view?

Finally, what can you do to make a change?

Now go do it! Remember "it is never too late to be who you were supposed to be."

No comments: